We have been discussing various cleansing techniques in our recent blogs. These techniques were passed down from ancient yogis hundreds of years ago. These purification methods not only make the body clean but make the body strong and rigid. In this blog, we shall discuss vaman dhauti which is a great cleansing technique.
1. The Cleansing Techniques
The ancient yoga books dictate six purification methods or satkarma that clean the various parts of the body. These body parts are the upper stomach, head, lower stomach, nostrils, and eyes. These techniques are jointly called satkarma. If you want to understand this in detail, then you can look at the Hatha Yoga Pradipika. This ancient text details everything that you need to know about the cleaning methods.
2. What Is Vaman Dhauti
The vaman dhauti is a cleansing method that cleans the upper portion of the digestive system. Dhauti means ‘washing’ and vaman dhauti means to clean the digestive system. In this exercise, the food inside the stomach is repulsively thrown out through vomiting. This exercise is also known as ‘vyaghra kriya’. The name is derived from the idea that a tiger vomits its food after a few hours of eating.
Similarly, this exercise aims to remove the undigested food particles. People perform vaman dhauti within 3-4 hours after having a meal. On the contrary, kunjal kriya is done in the morning.
3. How To Perform Vaman Dhauti
Here are the guidelines that you need to follow while performing this exercise. Keep in mind that you follow these points precisely to make your vaman dhauti experience a success.
- Boil warm saline water. Depending on your necessity, you can use 1-2 liters of water. Include 2 teaspoons of salt per liter of water. Make sure that the water is lukewarm and not very hot. Check your comfort level by drinking one glass of salty water. If you are comfortable, then proceed with the second glass. In this manner, drink the full saline water.
- Now, we shall vomit out the entire water.
- Bend in front of a washbasin or sink to vomit out the entire water. If you feel difficulty in vomiting, then you can use the index and middle finger. Tickle the root of the tongue which will cause a gag reflex.
- Continue the process till you vomit the entire water out.
4. Benefits Of Vaman Dhauti
Vaman Dhauti has unparalleled benefits and in this blog, we shall discuss some of them.
- It helps to clean the digestive tract and removes any undigested food particles that lie in the esophagus and stomach.
- It helps in preventing the formation of toxins in the stomach.
- It aids in combatting gas, acidity, and indigestion.
- It helps to remove mucus from the esophagus.
- It helps in mitigating the effects of respiratory diseases.
- It helps in dealing with coughs and sore throats.
5. Precautions Of Vaman Dhauti
Although vaman dhauti has many benefits, there are some precautions that you need to be aware of. While performing this exercise, you need to be aware of these precautions to perform the exercise easily.
- Check the water for the perfect temperature. Make sure that it’s neither too hot nor too cold.
- If you suffer from high and low blood pressure, respiration, and ulcers, then refrain from practicing this exercise.
- Trim your fingernails before inserting them into your mouth. If you do it prematurely, then there are chances that you might hurt yourself.
- Make sure that you throw out all the water that you have drunk. If not, then you might be a victim of acidity.
Thus, these are the matters that you need to understand while performing vaman dhauti. If you have any queries, be sure to contact us. We will make sure that all your queries are understood.
You may like: Vasti Katma of Satkarma