Introduction To Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a cactus looking plant which can be found in many regions of the world. The name Aloe Vera is derived from the Arabic word “alloeh”, meaning ‘shining, bitter substance’. In many parts of the world where it grows wild, it is called ‘the burn plant’ as first it was acknowledged for its usefulness in treatment in burns. Aloe vera plants are well known for their medicinal and healing properties from centuries. Globally Aloe vera treatments and cures are very much popular due to its herbal nature. The chemical composition of aloe makes it a general tonic for increasing our well being and longevity. 7
Scientific Nomenclature Of Aloe Vera :
- Species Name: Aloe Vera or Aloe barbidens
- Group: Monocot Family: Liliaceace Duration: Perennial
- Local name: Ghew Kumari (Nepali), Ghrit Kumari
Composition Of Aloe Vera
Aloe is 99.0-99.5% water, with an average pH of 4.55. It contains over 75 different constituents including enzymes (amylase, lipase, carboxypeptidase etc), vitamins (A, B, C and E), minerals (Na, K, Ca, Mg, Mn, Cu, Zn, Cr, and Fe), essential fatty acids, natural sugars, and amino acids.
Uses of Aloe Vera
Aloe vera being a medicinal plant has various uses in the medicine used.
Some Of The Common Uses Of Aloe Vera Are Listed Below:
- Aloe vera is used for moisturizing and softening the skin.
- The acid inside Aloe vera is used as effective pain killers.
Used in the painful menstrual cycle in females. Also found very effective during
- Antiseptic made from Aloe vera is used to kill bacteria, fungus, and viruses.
- Acne is treated by Aloe vera gel and it’s really effective.
- Aloe vera also helps in stopping baldness.
- Aloe vera relief from cuts, skin wounds, and burns.
- Aloe vera helps (when taken internally) with constipation, diarrhea and other intestinal problems.
- Genital infections are effectively cured by Aloe vera.
- Aloe Vera helps to prevent aging.
- Aloe vera is good Laxative. Thus is highly used in treating constipation.
- Some research indicates that aloe vera helps to prevent cancers, diabetes, and arthritis.
Side Effects Of Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has been used for centuries as a medicinal plant. Although side effects of aloe vera are rare they can occur. People with certain medical conditions (Pregnant Woman, menstruating women, colitis, appendicitis, and intestinal problems, etc.) should consult their doctor before using or taking aloe vera because some of the side effects from the medicine can adversely affect the person.
The Following Are The Side Effects One Can Experience When Using Aloe Vera:
- Electrolyte loss -can delay healing of major wounds
- Can color urine pink when taken internally
- Fluid imbalance -intestinal cramps Most of these side effects only occur when a person overdoses or uses aloe vera for too long.
Aloe vera is an herbal, natural method and when used properly will cause no side effects.
Aloe vera is one of nature’s gifts! We all should know its importance and uses and use it properly. A common and widely found herbal plant helps us to be healthy. So, let’s plant Aloe vera in our home and use it locally to get rid of the common health problems of our family. Trust the power of infections cured by Aloe vera and tries to avoid Antibiotics for such problems which are the ore of side effects. Let’s be aware that Antibiotics may seem to cure us temporarily but are killing us slowly and slowly. Trust Ayurveda and Ayurvedic plants and Therapy!!!