What is Insomnia and Its Management?
We have discussed Ayurvedic Insomnia management/treatment concept here.
Insomnia is a condition in which there is disturbance in sleep. There is frequent difficulty with sleep initiation, maintenance and consolidation.
Symptoms of Insomnia
- Taking longer than 30 minutes to fall asleep.
- Asleep for less than 6 hours.
- Waking up for more than 3 times in the night.
In Ayurveda, this condition is defined as anidra or nidranaasa.
This can be due to the vitiation of Vata dosha.
Insomnia affects an individual in several aspects. It creates personal, familial, social, emotional and psychological disturbances.
It needs to be treated with respect to multiple approaches in order to manage it successfully.
5 Ayurvedic Insomnia Management Approaches
- Aims of treatment
- Medicinal approach
- Yogic approach
- Lifestyle management approach
1. Aims of Treatment
- To relieve the person from severe symptoms.
- To make the person feel comfortable to perform his/her daily routine activities.
- To make the person free from associated symptoms.
2. Medicinal Approach
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Guduchi (Tinosporia cordifolia)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Shankhapuspi (Convolvulus pluricaulis)
- Yastimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Pichu (Tampoon) – Brahmi (Bacopa monneri) oil at Adhipati & Simanta marma point.
4. Yogic approach
- Anulom bilom
- OM chanting
- Surya namaskara
- Bare foot walk on grass
5. Lifestyle management
- Lifestyle management
- Avoid spicy, non-vegetarian foods
- Avoid smoking, alcohol
Now, you might have some ideas about Ayurvedic Insomnia management approaches through this article.