Overview – Intense-Forward bend pose
Uttanasana means powerful forward bending pose.
How to Practice Standing Forward Fold Pose or Uttanasana
- With long inhalation raise both hands up and stretch upwards.
- Exhale and bend forward from the groin.
- Try to touch the thigh with belly and leg bone (fibula or tibia) with the face. But it should not be done extreme forcefully of jerky force.
- Observe the natural breath and body sensation. The duration can be 20 seconds to 1 minute.
Health Benefits of Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend Pose)
It has somewhat similar benefits to Adho-Mukha swanasana.
- It makes the mind peace, manages stress, anxiety, and mild depression.
- It can be practiced as therapy for high BP, asthma, infertility, sinusitis, osteoporosis, etc.
- Promotes digestion, develops liver and kidneys.
- Minifies insomnia, headache, menopause, and fatigue.
Avoid this pose for these problems:
- lower back injury
- tear in the hamstrings
- detached retina.
If you have a back injury, you can do this pose keeping knees bent or half forward bending pose ie. Ardha Uttanasana. For Ardha Uttanasana place hands on the wall with torso parallel to ground and legs perpendicular to torso.